Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Tittenhurst Park

Yoko, Julian, and John at Tittenhurst Park in 1970

"When Dad moved to Tittenhurst, it was the first time that he actually called me in quite a long time. It was exciting thing for me to go and see him again after not seeing him for such a while. And at the time, I was living in, I won't say a small house, but it was a completely different situation. It was on a street with lots of houses, lots of friends. And Tittenhurst was this enormous palace-like place with 99 acres, golf cart buggies, a lake, a little island in the middle of the lake. It was like a house of fun. It was a completely different experience. It was wonderful. I loved the place. I recall so many people coming and going, other children too... Dr. Pepper was the drink of the moment, which Dad and I both loved. There was a house lower down on the property that everyone thought was haunted so all the kids there, myself included, always teased each other about going into it. I remember Dad had a Mellotron in the main house, and I'd try to play it on occasion. It was such an inspiring instrument, and to this day, still one of my favorites. I believed it was passed on to Ringo, who in turn gave it to Tim Fields." 
Julian, 1988

After John and Cynthia's divorce, it was pretty clear that neither was going to live at Kenwood. After Cynthia moved out after the divorce became final, John and Yoko moved in until the house was sold. It was obvious John and Yoko needed a home. For months, and getting married in the process, John and Yoko lived like gypsies living in hotels and friends homes. They went house shopping and settled on Tittenhurst Park in Ascot over the Summer of 1969. Cynthia wrote in her second autobiography John that she was familiar with the house- she checked it out around 1967 when The Beatles were thinking of living together like a commune, including buying an island (more about that later). After John and Yoko moved in, he started using his custody privileges on Julian having him on weekends and school breaks as much as possible. Julian had his own room but it was far away from John's bedroom in a big house, he was scared at night. I think Julian was afraid to say anythingbecause visits with his dad were rare and special, I suppose he didn't want to ruin it or something. Cynthia requested through Peter Brown to pass the message but I don't know if the bedroom move was granted as Julian spoke about it in the Imagine book that came out recently and by the blueprint of the house in 1971. I don't know if Yoko's daughter Kyoko had her own room as there was nothing indicated in the same book but by then Yoko was in a bitter custody battle and I don't think Kyoko visited all that much during the making of Imagine album. I'm sure she did, though... Maybe used Julian's room when he wasn't there? Well, anyway, Julian does have fun memories of Tittenhurst Park. 

"There were moments, though, where I felt very lonely there, at night, at bedtime. I recall being in a room halfway down the main staircase, which was on the opposite side to where Dad and Yoko slept. I was always scared to go to bed, because in such a huge house/building, who knew if there were ghosts there or not? There were strange noises floating through the air of that place, all the time. As you can imagine, my thoughts got the better of me, on more than one occasion."
Julian, 1988

"I think the most fun was actually later on in life when I actually got to see him when him and Mum had separated. When he was in Tittenhurst Park. I used to go see him on e just to be an idiot with him. There was 99 acres of fields and a man-made lake. There was boats and kneecap buggies- those things 6 wheels that float and go anywhere. There was a golf cart. There was a studio, there were many rooms to play in. At that time. Actually I recall them - well, I say Yoko - that putting me in a spare bedroom that was so scary, 'cause it was a huge house, and there was a room closer. But for some reason I got this room way down in the dark. I never understood why put me there. That was puzzling."
Julian, 1988 

Julian jumping into the pool at Tittenhurst Park in 1971

"I remember it fondly, because Dad and Yoko would do their own thing and I would sort of run around. I think it was 99 acres, Tittenhurst. I mean, that's an insane amount of land for, you know, a child can get lost in those woods!"
Julian, 2018 

"There are the moments that we, you know, enjoyed each other's company without thinking about it too much. I think if either of us thought about things too much, it was, you know, the anxiety or other elements would come into play. They were heavily into, you know, recording Imagine at that time. That's why I had a lot of time on my own. You know, because as a kid, also, I think, the studio scenario was exciting for a minute, but then, you know, 'You're playing that song how many times?'"
Julian, 2018

"But also I do recall when he was living in Tittenhurst Park. There were good times too, so I can't forget those."
Julian, 2010

Yoko, John, and Julian on the grounds of Tittenhurst Park in 1971

May Pang was John and Yoko's assistant and met Julian during his weekend visits.

"Early on the morning after my arrival, I was in the kitchen again when a group of children suddenly burst through the door. Among them was Julian Lennon, John's son by his first wife, Cynthia. Julian was eight years old and small for his age. He bore an uncanny resemblance to his father and had the same impish, intelligent eyes."
May Pang, from her book Loving John in 1983

The fun ended by August of 1971 when John and Yoko moved to New York City. At first I think they intended to return but then, days turn to weeks that turned to months and then years... ultimately somewhere then did John decided to make New York his home. He didn't bother informing Cynthia his move. Much less Julian. In the summer of 1973, John and Yoko put Tittenhurst Park up for sale; Ringo Starr bought it in September of that year and lived there until the late 1980s/early 1990s.  

"My time there is still vivid..." 
Julian, 1988

"There were a lot of great moments at Tittenhurst that I do fondly remember, you know, giggling and laughing with Dad. And, as they say, shooting the shit. But it was difficult to know, you think, 'OK, well, is this going to stay? Is this what it's going to be, now? Can I count on this? Can I be here next weekend or the weekend after? Is that going to happen?' That was one of the, obviously, the hardest pill to swallow, was the constant change. You know, you thought things were going to settle down, but they just never quite did."
Julian, 2018

Julian, John, and Yoko rowing a boat in the lake on the grounds of Tittenhurst Park in 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment