Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Longest Relationship

"Jim Christie and I have been together for many years. He is my companion in every sense of the word - we're always together and we share everything but we're not thinking of getting married. Who knows what will happen in the future, but the important thing is to live for the present."
Cynthia, 1990
Cynthia and Jim

Out of all the relationships Cynthia has had, she was with Jim Christie the longest: 17 years.
Alan Price - 2 days (circa 1950); boyfriend
Barry - approximately 2 years (1956 - 1958); engaged.
John Lennon - 10 years (1958 - 1968); married.
Roberto Bassanini - 5 years (1969 - 1973); married
John Twist - 7 years (1975 - 1982); married
Jim Christie - 17 years (1982 - 1999); boyfriend
Noel Charles - approximately 14 years (1999 - 2013); married


Let's talk boyfriends of Cynthia's, except for Barry as you can check the Labels ➡ for more about him, Alan Price and the main topic Jim. Alan did not last long at all.

"My first boyfriend was called Alan Price. He was in my class at Primary School. I was 11 years old and besotted with him and it looked as if he felt the same about me. He wrote me a letter in which he'd placed a half crown piece. 'Right in this letter,' he scrawled in painstaking print, 'is half a crown for you.' True love. Unfortunately, the next day he was out with someone else and I was heartbroken. My first experience of the fickleness of men. Despite the flirtation with Alan, my main interest was art."
Cynthia, 1994
Cynthia and Jim at the London premiere of Imagine: John Lennon on October 7, 1988


James Christie was born circa 1943 to Hal and Sonny Christie. Hal and Sonny were in show business as a musician and cabaret-style performer, touring in hotels and such. They also ran a restaurant business and divided time in Liverpool. Sonny was best friends with the mother of Tony Bramwell (later became one of The Beatles' associates), Tony and Jim were obviously best friends. In 1974, Cynthia had recently divorced Roberto while living near London and moved back to Wirral where she grew up (Hoylake). Jim was a neighbor, I believe he was married at the time (… just don't ask me if he had children as I honestly don't know; Cynthia never mentioned it but that doesn't really mean much as it could be a private personal matter) and was working as a chauffeur. Her son Julian had met Jim first. How? I don't know but Jim taught Julian how to ride a motorcycle. After Cynthia married John Twist by 1977, Cynthia moved house yet again, settling in Wales for a time until they divorced in 1983 after separating in 1981. By 1982, Cynthia reconnected with Jim who also recently divorced.

"Jim was a neighbour and was interested in motorbikes. He taught Julain to ride the little  motorbike that John had bought him. It was about 1974, I was married to Mr Twist at the time and he wasn't really interested in Julian. We didn't get together for a long time, not until 1982. We're not married and we're not planning to get married. I think the reason is that I'm a serious person. I would never have affairs. After John and I broke up, as Julian was growing up, I wanted him to have a father and so I married the men in my life. Now Jim and I are partners, we live together, we work together and we have a stronger relationship than any marriage. The situation is accepted by everyone; Julian accepts it and we've reached a time in our lives when we don't need to get married. We feel right as we are."
Cynthia, 1988


Probably because of his parents in show business, Jim became Cynthia's manager and spokesman. Jim and Cynthia moved to Cumbria around 1985 while she started her new career in textile design and trying to get away from John Lennon/The Beatles hunters.


"We came here from Cumbria to escape from being at the end of a phone. When anything was on about the Beatles or Julian, I was always being pursued and harassed. I was getting really fed up with it because I was trying to do my textile designs."
Cynthia, 1988

“There have been some very tough times, but now I am very happy, contented and settled. I’m having a great time, I’m so lucky to have come to the kind of peace of mind I have now. I didn’t expect it four years ago.”
Cynthia 1985


While there, Jim and Cynthia held a garden party fundraiser that was record-breaking on behalf of their local community Hall in July of 1985. Their time in Cumbria didn't last long- Jim and Cynthia moved to Isle of Man where they briefly ran a restaurant Bunter's (and later Lennon's in London in 1989).

"Jim has never felt he's living in John Lennon's shadow. He's four years younger than me and wasn't really part of that whole Beatles scene, though his parents were in showbusiness. He knew Julian before he knew me and, in fact taught him to ride motorbikes - and we became friends as a result. He's slotted so easily into my life it really is a miracle for me. And living here on the island for the last nine years feels like I'm finally at rest. After I found out about John and Yoko and we split up, I seemed to be constantly on the move. I'd move house every three years, which was ridiculous, but for many different reasons - all of them some kind of search for peace. Here I think I've found what I was looking for and Julian has a bolt hole in a place where we can just take a flask and go walking across the hills."
Cynthia, 1995
Cynthia and Jim at home in Isle of Man, 1994


"We have no plans to marry - everything is just fine as it is. Jim is great. He's 47 years old - I'm 52 this year. It's a good working friendship, relationship and partnership, without  the need for marriage. We have a great life and lovely home."
Cynthia, 1991

"Yes, Jim and I have been together for 14 years and we're doing fine."
Cynthia, 1996


After Jim and Cynthia had their fill with Isle of Man, they moved to Normandy, France. Unfortunately, they were soon over: Jim broke up with Cynthia. Actually, she broke up with him! Rightfully so... Jim and Cynthia took in a woman whose parents were going through a well publicized scandal in England. Next thing Cynthia knows, at a party that she and Jim were hosting, Jim and this woman decided it was time to reveal their love affair and declared their love for each other! Cynthia was humiliated! It was bad enough to be humiliated in her own home when she caught John and Yoko together, but only two other people witnessed; this, I think, is much worst than what John did. There were definitely more than two people in this room. The party quickly left, Jim and this woman reassured Cynthia that they could still remain friends, but Cynthia, understandably, did not. She asked them to leave. Cynthia was devastated and Julian drove all night from his home in Italy to France to be there for his mother. It was her first time alone since her divorce from Roberto/relationship with John Twist in the mid-1970s until she started her relationship with Noel.

"It's wonderful. Life begins at whatever age is good for you, and 60 certainly seems as if it's going to be good for me. Eight months ago I found myself finally on my own, which may have been horrendous at the time, but has done me the greatest favour. To be alone but not lonely, to be unburdened by responsibilities, to have my own space - truly, it's the first time in my life I've felt such freedom. It's brilliant. I've never experienced it before because at 23, I had a baby - Julian - to look after, and I then cared for my mother when she had Alzheimer's disease. After that one marriage followed another - Roberto Bassanini being the best of the three, because the others were influenced too much by the Lennon legacy. So I never knew how good independence could be."
Cynthia 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment