Saturday, May 22, 2021

We're On Our Way Home

In November of 1963, John, Cynthia, and Julian moved down to London from Liverpool. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but it was necessary as John was working there more and more. I'm sure there's been a lot of unaccounted visits; however, I'll just go by what's known. 
John returned to Liverpool after several months with The Beatles to attend the premiere of A Hard Day's Night on July 10, 1964. Cynthia did not go. Why? She never explained other than acknowledging it (my guess is that she stayed behind to avoid the Beatlemania); his family of Aunts, Uncles, cousins, and sisters came. While John was on tour with The Beatles, Cynthia went to Liverpool after realizing she missed the simple life, homesick, and would go whenever possible. Cynthia would visit Liverpool countless times until a few years before her death.

"No I haven't had much time to be lonely. I came down from Liverpool this week, I've been up there a lot of the time, with the family."
Cynthia, 1964 (when The Beatles returned from their world tour in July)

"I loved my beautiful house and the beautiful gardens but often it felt like an ivory tower. When I looked out of my window I couldn't see another soul or another house. I knew that Maureen was only down the road but she could have been a million miles away. I was lonely. I took to visiting the shops in Weybridge and, one day, seeing some shoes I liked in the shoes shop, I went in to try them on. The staff were so nice to me that I kept going back. I bought so many pairs of shoes they must have thought I had some kind of fetish. If only they'd known. I just wanted someone to talk to. In the end I thought, "Well, if the mountain won't come to Mohammed..." and I called Leslie the chauffeur and said: 'Take me to Hoylake.' It was to be the first of many such visits. Mum was now living in Trinity Road, a narrow street of terraced houses, and several hours later our Silver Cloud Rolls-Royce was cruising slowly down the pot holes, causing much twitching of net curtains on either side. Embarrassed, I jumped out, hauled Julian after me and grabbed our bags. 'Go off and enjoy yourself,' I told Leslie quickly. 'Find something to do - I don't mind what - only take the car away from Trinity Road and don't bring it back till next week.' Conscious of dozens of unseen eyes on me, I couldn't relax until I saw the huge pale car disappear round the corner. I didn't want anyone to feel that I'd changed. Inside I was still the same Cynthia but I knew they wouldn't believe that if they saw me swanning about in a chauffeur driven Rolls-Royce. There I was with all the accoutrements of wealth but all I wanted was fish and chips from the back street.I'd already passed my test and found myself showered with vehicles.  They kept changing, too, and I never knew quite what would meet me when I came out in the morning! Julian and I stayed with Mum for a week and it was bliss. We went shopping in Market Street, we dropped in on neighbours and friends. It was so comfortable and familiar it was as if the intervening years hadn't happened."
Cynthia, 1994

Cynthia, John, and his cousin Michael Cadwallader at his home, Aramore, in Rock Ferry, December 1964

John's visits to Liverpool got rare as he was busy although there were two tours that passed their hometown. The Beatles performed at the Liverpool Empire Theatre on November 8, 1964 and December 5, 1965; they must have visited their families during their personal time. In December of 1964, more likely around the Christmas holiday, John and Cynthia went to John's cousin Michael's home for a family get together. 

After Cynthia's divorce from Roberto Bassanini in 1973, Cynthia, Julian, and Lillian moved to Hoylake; Cynthia reconnected with a lot of her friends and family. I'd like to take an opportunity to mention that only Julian is the only Beatle child that really got to be raised in the area The Beatles grew up, including being born in Liverpool. Sure the other kids have visited Liverpool, but none but one has actually lived there. By 1976, Cynthia was remarried to another Liverpulian John Twist. But not long after their wedding, they moved to North Wales. 

John, Yoko, Julian, and Kyoko at the Holmrook Special School in Liverpool on June 26, 1969

As for John, he did return to Liverpool one last time in 1969, while taking Yoko, Julian, and Kyoko on a family road trip to see his family and spots where he grew up before going to Scotland where he was involved in a car crash. I'll get into that family trip another time.
After her divorce from John Twist, Cynthia frequently moved around like a gypsy and often visited Liverpool (as I mentioned earlier). 

Cynthia, Julian, and May Pang at the White Feather: The Spirit of Lennon in Liverpool on June 17, 2009

On June 17, 2009, Cynthia and Julian came to Liverpool together for the first time in many years (she thought since he was born, but obviously since more like when he was a pre-teenager) to launch Julian's White Feather Foundation exhibition The Spirit of Lennon with displays of The Beatles memorabilia, John's clothes, and personal belongings. 

"It was the first time the two of us have been in Liverpool together since he was born. He doesn't even know Liverpool but he's got the best Liverpool accent. I had to learn a Liverpool accent when I was thrown in the deep end at art college, and all the Liverpudlians said I was posh. He's only been in Liverpool for five minutes and he's got the best Liverpool accent."
Cynthia, 2009

Okay, I don't really like to do this, but I do need to slightly correct Cynthia regarding Julian and his Liverpool roots. While I understand that Cynthia and Julian were rarely in Liverpool together after 1976ish, Julian does know Liverpool. He's been there quite a few times since: In 1985, he met up with Sean and Yoko during Sean's first trip to Liverpool for lunch, then during his Mr. Jordan tour on July 3, 1989 performing at the Liverpool Empire Theatre, and a benefit concert in honor of 96 victims from a tragedy in the Hillsborough Stadium during a soccer match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest teams. Other than that, I can't think of other visits Julian has made to Liverpool so I do think Cynthia was partially right on Julian's knowledge on Liverpool. 

Julian and Cynthia at the Peace and Harmony, a monument dedicated to John, ceremony in Chavasse Park, Liverpool on October 9, 2010

The final time Julian and Cynthia were in Liverpool together was in October of 2010 to reveal a monument, Peace and Harmony, dedicated to John. I don't know but leaning towards no regarding if Cynthia returned to Liverpool, privately. This was around the time her husband Noel Charles got sick with pancreatic cancer and Cynthia swore that occasion was the last thing she has anything to do with The Beatles. Another topic to discuss on a later date. 

Liverpool, photographed by Julian Lennon in July of 2019 passing by after visiting Hoylake 

Julian returned to Hoylake in July of 2019 and passed by Liverpool after spending less than 24 hours there while in the midst of business travel. 
As for Sean, I believe he's only been in Liverpool five times: 1985 (to see where John grew up), 1990 (John Lennon tribute concert), 2008 (during his Friendly Fire tour), 2014 (during a tour with The Ghost of a Saber Tooth), and 2018 (Double Fantasy: John & Yoko exhibition).

No comments:

Post a Comment