Friday, June 11, 2021

In a Blink of an Eye

Cynthia with The Beatles arriving in London at Heathrow Airport from Austria after filming Help! on location, March 22, 1965.

Cynthia was one of the few people who saw The Beatles climbed up from playing in seedy clubs to success beyond anyone's dreams. Although Cynthia exit the inner circle in 1968, she read up on their break up in 1970 from newspapers and saw The Beatles legacy carried on up to her death on 2015. No one made her forget her connections, no matter how much she tried or lived up to. Here's a collection of quotes about the aftermath of The Beatles and the legacy.

"They were all whisked off anyway. So we didn't have time to discuss what was happening. It was happening as we were getting off with life. They were getting on with becoming bigger and bigger and bigger in the world. When people write books, they have to put things like that in. Do you understand what I'm saying?"
Cynthia

"I always believed that they were channeled from wherever because what they wrote was way beyond their years...Eleanor Rigby. Some of the music is just unbelievable for their age."
Cynthia

"You have to accept the past or else you would be moving on forever. I have heard people say: 'You know who she was, don't you?' but we have come to terms with it."
Cynthia, 1980 

"They are part of my life, and my husband and I have come to accept that. Of course there were terrible moments but my life has been fascinating. I lived through a crazy, chaotic and unique part of history and I have a beautiful son because of my marriage to John Lennon."
Cynthia, 1980

"With humour. He found it quite amusing because, at first, he couldn't believe it. I remember the welcome in New York was tremendous - there were thousands of fans waiting for us. There was a whole floor reserved for us at the hotel and the journalists and TV cameras followed us everywhere. Do you know what John said? 'What a row. There must be someone very important staying at our hotel'. He really couldn't imagine that the Beatles were the object of such attention."
Cynthia, 1990

"If you are part of the Beatles experience you can't deny it. It would be impossible to pretend none of this ever happened. I try and opt for a quiet life but I have learned by now that once you've experienced the sort of scenario I did it's impossible to settle for normality. If I've learned anything from this, it's not to make any plans. You never know what may be around the corner."
Cynthia, 2000

"Despite the fact that we had become the focus of worldwide attention. Don't forget I was still the same, sensible girl from Hoylake with my feet on the ground. Life with John took me from Hoylake to a mansion to the Maharishi in India, but I had done a lot of growing up very quickly."
Cynthia, 1995

"I would never denigrate any of them, truly, because I think their talent was just magical. And it will go on forever. I've dipped in and out of the limelight, but mainly to earn a living."
Cynthia, 2009

"He changed my life...well, he didn't, but the whole situation changed my life completely. God knows where I would've been ended up. I probably would've been a school teacher with about three or four children in a boring situation. I've had the most amazing life, a wonderful life. I'm still alive and kicking. I've got the best son anyone could possibly wish for in the world and a marriage to a wonderful man also. Sounds very gushing, but I'm really happy. And all the experience has not spoiled anything for me, I promise you. I still open my eyes in the morning and feel a beautiful, sunny day in Spain and think how lucky I am"
Cynthia

"I suppose I could have but even when I was living in the mansion in Weybridge, I never blew my money. Sheets and shoes were my only luxury. John and I both came from comfortable homes but he never knew the love and support that there was in my family. So when the whole Beatles thing happened I kept my feet on the ground while he went off on some kind of lunar trajectory"
Cynthia, 2000 

"Well, it was very difficult because  we were studying a lot and they were doing it on the side, but I think once they started, once they went to Germany, and came back from Germany – they went to Hamburg – and John threw up his art studies and everything, then it all started happening in Liverpool. Then I did believe. You know, in the beginning, they were four young lads sort of trying their best and doing what they wanted to do most of all, which was play music."
Cynthia, 1982

"As far as I can tell you, we were all friends, we were a group, we were friends and they were playing music together, and happily as far as I know. As with any other sort of relationship, they had their ups and downs. They were only kids."
Cynthia, 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment