Monday, May 9, 2022

Do You Swear?

"He didn't have an angry bone in his body. He only ever smacked me once in my life when I was about 12 and I swore. He must have been feeling unusually bad-tempered and fraught that particular night. He was a salesman for the electrical company GEC and he was working on those endless books that salesmen have to fill in. Anyway, I suppose I was annoyed that he wasn't taking any notice of me and I came out with the worst word I could think of. The next thing I knew there was a stinging slap on my leg. I couldn't believe it. I was speechless. The fact that Dad had actually smacked me was much worse than the fleeting pain. I never said the offending word again - not in Dad's presence anyway!"
Cynthia, 1994

"I fell in love with a bad boy, whom I knew to be a bad boy. John wasn't the best, but he wasn't the worst. But if my father had still been alive, he wouldn't have got past the front door of our house."
Cynthia

"He was sullen and moody most of the time, and his rages could get out of control.. And he would swear constantly. Really crudely and badly, the sort of words you ought not to say in front of a lady. I wasn't used to hearing language like that - !y parents certainly never cursed - and I did used to find it embarrassing, I don't mind admitting. I used to go bright red a lot in those days,bit John never seemed to care. I think he enjoyed making me feel uncomfortable. It gave him the upper hand."
Cynthia

"I swear sometimes, but I hate to hear women swear, or for man to swear in front of women. Cyn has heard me swear when I'm angry, but she wouldn't like it if anyone started trying to butter her. If they apologized afterwards, she would like them for respecting her though, but she wouldn't like the swearing."
John, 1965

No comments:

Post a Comment