Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Time With U2

Vienna Steps
During a concert on August 30, 2010
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Julian and the band, U2 (members: Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen, Jr.) met in 1997.

"To be honest, I couldn’t tell you the first time … it could have been at the Formosa Cafe in L.A. about 30 years ago. We kept bumping into each other until eventually they asked me if I’d like to come to one of their shows, and I think the first time I went was because we had a security guard in common, Jerry Mele, who used to work for me, but was now working for them. I recall Oasis were their opening act, it was in the U.S. many, many moons ago … but I have a terrible memory, so can’t be sure."
Julian, 2018

Julian sang background vocals for Red Flag Day from their album Songs of Experience, released in 2017.

"I went to visit U2 whilst they were working on the track, whilst they were still playing with the vocal arrangements, and B just said, 'Jules, try this melody, it’s more suited to your tonal range,' and that was it, I just sang along. Sometimes with Bono and Edge, sometimes solo, and my voice was blended into their background vocal tracks. I can’t really hear myself in there, but hey … happy to be part of it, regardless."
Julian, 2018

"Well, I’d hardly say I was working with them, as such, it was more like a little bit of fun for 5 minutes … The Boys are pretty low key when recording, and don’t often like having people around, so it’s always a pleasure to get the odd invite, if we’re in the same city, to hang out, talk about the World, and music, etc. etc."
Julian, 2018

"I play them the odd song, here and there, listen to what they have to say … I think we’re both quite particular in our approach to songwriting, but never say never … who knows?"
Julian, 2018

Paperback Writer (The Edge)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Disheartened (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Pensive (Larry Mullen)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Balance (Adam Clayton)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

“The Edge came to me and said ‘Please take some pictures.' To a degree, it’s a side of the boys that hasn’t been seen before … I just didn’t want to get in the way. The moment I thought there was any heavy air, I would clear out.”
Julian, 2010

Fretless (Adam Clayton)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Hands Of Time (Larry Mullen)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Moment Of Peace (Adam Clayton)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Strummer (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Vignette (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Someone To Look Up To (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

“Initially, I called it a Lennon sandwich. Now I call it Someone To Look Up To. Bono was there, and I look up to him, and he looks up to dad.”
Julian, 2010

"U2 were recording some demos at my house in France in 2010 and allowed me to take some photographs of them. It was a hot, close summer: one of those ones where you just cannot breathe. I knew it was a great opportunity, but I didn't want to be in their faces too much – as a recording artist myself, I know how annoying it can be when someone is sitting in the corner clicking away with their camera when you're trying to work. So I just popped in for 20 minutes now and again and took a few shots. One afternoon, everybody except Bono had cleared out of the studio. I was lazing about on the floor and, as I looked up, I saw Bono with the photograph of Dad in the background. I thought: 'That's what I've been looking for.' And so I took the shot. This is one of the pictures that changed my way of thinking as a photographer. It's a piece of history in many respects. I call it Someone to Look Up To. It's a truly appropriate title as far as I'm concerned: Bono is a huge John Lennon fan, and I'm a huge fan of both of them, of course. The picture of Dad was taken by Astrid Kirchherr in Hamburg, when he was about 17 years old. He has a pensive look – he's not giving too much away, but the mind is ticking. And I think the same goes for the emotion on Bono's face: it's almost identical, like a later version of Dad in many respects. Bono has become one of the best in the world at what he does; I'm happy I was able to capture him in such a reflective mood. Photography and music are working in parallel for me right now. I love the music, but regardless of how I am interviewed by most people, it always comes back to Dad and the Beatles, which is understandable but a little frustrating. The only recollection I have of Dad taking any photos was when he would muck around with the Polaroids, more for fun than anything else. I guess that inspired me, but I only got serious when I met and worked with Timothy White. What excites me about photography is that you never know what kind of project is going to come knocking. It's always challenging and it's always different, whether it's U2 or Princess Charlene of Monaco 10 minutes before her wedding. Photography is the thing that makes me happiest, no question about it."
Julian, 2013

Wake Up And Dream (The Edge)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

"I was staying at a house, and the U2 boys were looking for a place to write and possibly record, and I was leaving for NYC for my first ever photography exhibition, at the Morrison Hotel Gallery, formerly CBGB’s. So, I suggested they use the house, as it had some great sounding rooms. They did! But after we agreed, I found out my exhibition was delayed… So, I moved in with a friend next door, until I could leave for the exhibition. In the meantime, I’d popped over to see The Boys and Edge (knowing I was an up and coming photographer) said, 'I know you’d like to take a few pics, let me talk to the others and I’ll let you know'. The next day, Edge said, 'It’s all good…' I was overjoyed, but very nervous, as I didn’t want to get in their way, and didn’t know them so well at that point. So, I went over, camera in hand, but they also had in-house photographers there, shooting video too, so it was a fairly busy landscape. Trying to not distract, I only popped in on a few occasions, as I didn’t want to disturb them. But the first time I went over and snapped away, I came back and looked at the images on my laptop, and thought they looked terrible, not the band, the pictures. Like quick holiday snaps. But I was fortunate enough to be chatting to Bono one early evening, and it was very chilled and relaxed, and I was literally just laying on the floor, looking up at Bono, who was sitting on a chair, staring out of the window, but low and behold, there was a picture of Dad, up high on the wall behind him… And so, just took a snap, then and there, and thought, 'That’s it!' What transformed me right then and there, was that I was shooting most earlier pictures “head on”…and what inspired me about this particular shot was the angle. Without that particular angle that I was at, laying on the floor, looking up at a hero of mine, who was sitting underneath a picture of one of his heroes… Well, it just wouldn’t have happened, and that made me realize, that we should all look at things from time to time from a different perspective, as that may just give us a better understanding of the situation around us, or the situation we’re in. It was because of that particular photo that my understanding of photography and communication through imagery changed forever, and I’ve never looked back since. It continues to remain one of my favorite images, alongside Wake up and Dream which is of Edge walking by a whiteboard, with that exact title, but he’s walking away, so you cannot see his face, but you know it’s him. And because of that time with them, and with their agreement that I was able to use these images at my first ever exhibition, between some Rock ’n’ Roll images and the fine art photography of clouds and landscapes that I had originally intended for the exhibition."
Julian, 2021

"Then I went to look at them. And I went, 'Shit. They look like fucking holiday photos."
Julian, 2012

Sky's The Limit (The Edge)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Smoke and Mirrors (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Stage Struck (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Strut (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Respire (Bono)
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Julian saw U2 in concert at Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna on August 30, 2010 

“They’re mates, so if they’re on the road and I’m in the neighborhood, I’m there.”
Julian, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment