Thursday, January 5, 2023

Timeless: Julian's First Exhibition

"My dad wasn’t really a photographer, so it just allows me to breathe a little more. He used to take a couple Polaroid’s, but it wasn’t a potential career. This is my own thing."
Julian, 2010

Timeless
Photographed by Julian Lennon

“That’s probably the thing that started it off really. That was me on the tour bus with Sean in 2007, somewhere in Eastern Europe at six o’clock in the morning, and this was in the days when I used to smoke. The bus driver used to let me sit at the front of the bus while everybody was asleep and grab the ol’ ciggie. It was freezing! Again it was about capturing a time and a place and feeling that sort of emptiness …not knowing where the road was really going to. At the time it seemed timeless because it was just eternal. It was like … When is this going to end? When are we going to get somewhere? So that’s what started it all up, at least for the first exhibition.”
Julian, 2013

Fire in the Sky
Photographed by Julian Lennon

"Skies can bring you a moment of peace, where you can either just sit in reflection, or not think about anything, I think that's pretty magical."
Julian, 2010

Ash Cloud
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Mont Blanc
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Asian Skies 
Photographed by Julian Lennon

"I'm in love with clouds, and stars, and the sky. When everyone else is asleep on a plane during the long haul flights I have to take for work, I can't help but look out of the window."
Julian, 2010

Cotton Cloud
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Réflexion
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Eastern Flow
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Skyline
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Hills To Sea
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Painterly
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Zebrak
Photographed by Julian Lennon

Floating 
Photographed by Julian Lennon

"I will always continue to photograph clouds, no question about it. They are beautiful."
Julian, 2010


Sean, Yoko, and Julian looking at the exhibition at Morrison Hotel Gallery in New York City on September 16, 2010

There's a lot of professional photographers in the Beatles family: Astrid Kirchherr, Linda McCartney, Mary McCartney, Mike McCartney, his son Sonny McCartney, I heard Jason Starkey (I never see his photographs), Pattie Boyd, and, of course, Julian Lennon. Although everybody loves the camera! 
In Julian's case, it kinda happened naturally and by accident. When we first think of Julian's career choice, we (including Julian himself) would first think MUSICIAN. But, it's not really surprising as John and Cynthia were art students, Julian inherited a love for art, even considered it as a career path growing up (as well as a chef) if he hadn't gotten into music. For photography, while maybe as a hobby, I believe Julian never considered it as a career. He also like to fool around with Photoshop! Julian got eased into photography. I guess it really started in 2007 when Julian surprised Sean on his European tour and took a lot of pictures (I already posted this fairly recently). Then there was quiet until 2010, maybe 2009 at the earliest. Photographer and long time friend Timothy White took pictures of Julian and sent it off to him, I guess for approval or something, I don't know, but whatever the reason, Julian fooled around with the photos on Photoshop and sent them to Timothy - I believe as a lark (joke) - and Timothy was impressed!

"I didn't, really. To be honest, it came from Timothy White, who did my second and third album covers, and he became my dear friend over the years. We were doing a charity single for the Lupus Foundation of America. We had used him for the single, and I did my own editing. I'm self-taught all the way, and I'm stubborn in that regard - I don't read or write music. I wouldn't actually call myself a photographer; I consider myself more of a visual artist. But Timothy saw the changes I'd made and then inquired about any photos that I took. He said, 'You should do something with them.' I thought it was nuts, but he helped me put an exhibition together. The first exhibition was in New York, and it was a raging success. I've been almost fully employed ever since, doing photography for film and charity projects. What's great about it is, it's always new, it's always different, it's always exciting. But I have no formal training - I couldn't tell you what's what, what's inside out or whatever. I just see something and have a feel for it. I guess it's the same way with music."
Julian, 2013

"Though I had an interest in photography, I didn’t realize I had 'an eye' for it until I took the liberty of editing some photos my dear friend Timothy White had taken. He asked me where I learned how to edit photos. I told him I just taught myself, as I’ve done with most creative elements of my life, music included…. I enjoyed the creative aspect of adjusting the colors, textures and framing to what I thought each image should become. Timothy said, 'You should do something with those,' as in… exhibit them in a show. I honestly thought he was joking. But he wasn’t, so I said if I were to seriously pursue photography, it would only be if he agreed to mentor me. He did mentor me. I had my first show in New York, Timeless in 2010, and here we are, nearly 12 years later…"
Julian, 2022

"Certain people have affected my progress and creativity in different mediums. For instance, Timothy White, a dear friend and a famous celebrity photographer, urged me to consider photography, which gave me a completely new lease of life and a new outlet."
Julian, 2022

During the summer of 2010, U2 asked Julian to hang out with them and take some pictures while they were working on a new album... I already posted about Julian and U2 previously. For this post, I really want to focus on the main topic: Julian's first photography exhibition!
Okay, so, after his experience with U2, Julian teamed up with Timothy to put together an exhibition in New York City. That's not an easy feat and yet Julian managed - even Yoko was impressed! (And, no, Yoko did not attempt to sabotage the exhibition. At this point, Julian and Yoko were, still are, cool.) Julian wanted to focus on landscapes and skies, however it soon expanded to Sean from his European tour in 2007 and U2's recent recording session.

"Even U2 weren’t supposed to be part of the first exhibition. It was to be literally all the painterly cloud work. But I was hanging out with the U2 boys, and they said, 'Come and shoot this while we’re rehearsing.' That’s literally—it was last-minute—the way that came together, that’s when I started getting into this, and it was two different aspects, completely. The cloud-scapes and other landscapes are completely different from the rock n’ roll stuff. In essence for me, the approach has to be organic. I’ve been asked to do photo shoots for other people and magazines, but I can’t see myself doing that—at least not yet."
Julian, 2016

"It sort of became a bizarre hobby. But I can't help myself for taking pictures of clouds. I guess also, the other side of the coin is, Dad wasn't necessarily known for his photography. Not that that's the reason I'm doing this by any means. So there's a joy in this and a freedom to this."
Julian, 2010

“In some ways the photography will bring people back to the music. The process of doing photo work and getting it out to the public is a lot smoother than the road I’ve had with music.”
Julian, 2010

Cynthia, who just arrived from Spain, visiting Julian during the set up a day before opening night, September 15, 2010

Anthony Mason, Julian, and Pattie during the set up a day before opening night, on September 15, 2010
Photographed by Rick Edwards

During the set up, Julian was joined by journalist Anthony Mason to record this journey for the news, as well as Pattie Boyd and Cynthia Lennon to check on things the day before the opening. Then, came the big day!

“We've never seen my son so happy as he is now.” 
Cynthia, 2010

"That was most curious how that came together. I did tell everybody that everybody was going to be there - and wasn't quite sure if everybody was going to turn up! Listen, six months ago, I had no idea."
Julian, 2010

"I do get incredibly anxious. Almost borderline panic attacks."
Julian, 2010












Sean, Yoko, Cynthia, and Julian posing for the press at Julian's exhibition on September 16, 2010


Julian with Pattie Boyd and Noel Charles

Pattie and Yoko chat at Julian's photo exhibition in New York City

On September 16, 2010, Timeless photography exhibition had its opening day at Morrison Hotel Gallery. Besides the host Julian, the attendees were Cynthia, her husband Noel Charles, May Pang, Yoko, Sean Lennon, Pattie Boyd, Anthony Mason, Timothy White, Sid Bernstein, Mick Rock (photographer), Bob Gruen (photographer), Melissa Burke (musician), Lyla Iljaz (fitness instructor), Amy Roca (?), Johnny Rozsa (photographer), Analise Bryan (talent manager), Robin Beck (musician), Tara Cobel (actress), Francesco Civetta (music director), Ilona Struzik (actress), David Katz (?), Fernando Carbaneda (artist), Peter Blachley (musician), Henry Diltz (photographer), Melodie Kerr (?), Amanda Marlowe (?), Brinkley Skye (real estate), Beata Boman (fashion designer), Legs McNeil (journalist), Princess WOW (performer), Mary Lamont (musician), Jim Marches (photographer), and Irina Lazareanu (model and musician). Imagine being in a room with Cynthia, Yoko, and May... you'd immediately think tension! Yet, from my understanding, there wasn't any tension at all! Everyone was relaxed and had a great time - it was a successful night. Cynthia and Yoko hugged and posed for pictures. You can especially tell how proud Sean was! 

"I think it was more insane than backstage after a gig."
Julian, 2010

Cynthia and Yoko chat while Julian and Sean hugged




Cynthia and Yoko

It was the last time Yoko and Sean saw Cynthia.

"Photography and music are working in parallel for me right now. Photography is the thing that makes me happiest, no question about it."
Julian, 2010
 
"It was great. It really was great to have everybody come together for a change. It was unexpected because I didn’t know for sure if Sean was coming and didn’t know for sure if Yoko was coming. Mum was with me, so we were covered on that front, and it was a pleasant surprise that everyone was able to put the past behind us and support me as an upcoming new photographer and artist. It was great to have that, and I was very thankful for that because it was insanity. There were more people there than backstage at a rock concert. It was really ridiculous. Literally three days before I was having panic attacks and anxiety because I thought I was going to get ripped a new backside again trying to be something that maybe people think I’m not, but I was just trying to be genuine to myself in following this work of photography. And to get the response that I did for the work that I’ve done has just been magnificent. It’s become the front running passion of mine — I still love music and will never let that go, of course — but I’ve been on so many little projects since I started that it’s just become an amazing journey for me and continues to be so."
Julian, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment